The concept of V2G
We are just one step away from the EV era. In this era there will be a lot of batteries on the road. Or actually, parked since most vehicles are only driving 10% of the time. The remaining time they are parked at home or at work. The V2G concept envisions the use of the EV batteries as a virtual power plant. This concept can not only be used for your home, but also for a nation or even a whole continent. The batteries of Ev’s and other energy containers will be joined together to become a virtual, very dynamic and flexible power supply.
Direct solar charging
Electric vehicles are seen as the sustainable future of transport. However, they are only truly sustainable if the electricity used to charge them, comes from sustainable sources and not from fossil fuels. Sustainable sources such as solar panels can be used well for charging. Currently the charging of electrical vehicles is always via the power network. Direct current (DC) of the solar panels is converted into alternating current (AC) for the electricity grid and the AC of the electricity grid is converted back into DC for the battery pack of the car. A small 10% of the energy is lost in both conversion steps: a total of 19%. For this reason, PRE developed a charger module with solar option that allows for the direct charging of electric cars using solar panels, even without a main grid connection.
V2G Vehicle to Grid Module
The PRE V2G charger module is a bidirectional AC-DC converter. As a result, the energy from the battery can also be used to deliver back to the grid (Vehicle to Grid). The charger module can handle four different power flows:
- from solar panels to electric vehicle
- from electric vehicle to the grid
- from the grid to electric vehicle
- and from the solar panels to the grid
The V2G 10kW charging module is a smart integration between an MPPT solar module and an EV charging module. The modules can be used modularly, making it possible to place the modules in parallel to achieve a power of 150 KW. Due to the integrated solution, fewer components are required, the power density is three times higher, resulting in much lower costs. By using silicon carbide and quasi-resonant technology, efficiency of more than 96% is achieved for both full and partial loading. PRE is ready for mass production of the V2G charger module.
The V2G 10kW charger module features:
- CCS & CHAdeMO compliant.
- Bidirectional (V2H/V2G) Operation.
- CANbus Control Interface.
- Latest Resonant Technology
- High efficiency up to 98%
- Direct Solar Charging with optional PV Input.
PRE POWER DEVELOPERS
EV Charger Modules Since 2009 PRE is a well known Power Module supplier for OEM (charger) companies. Our customers provide DC Fast Charging solutions all over the world. PRE is your partner for a FULL range of DC EV Charger Modules, with unique USP’s.
- proven reliable products, installed base of more than 10.000 modules
- compliant with CCS and CHAdeMO and latest environmental standards for acoustic noise levels
- future proof, including V2G/V2H and 1000V DC high power charging.
PRE Charger modules - product range (EV Fast Charging stations, EV Fast Charging parks and V2G/V2H solutions).
PRE power developers is an engineering company with specialists in power electronics and embedded software. PRE offers reference design for various kind of chargers. For example:
- DC Wallbox for home/office fast charging (25kW)
- All-in-one chargers (up to 150kW, multiple outputs)
- Charger parks (up to 5MW) Invisible (under the ground) chargers
The PRE engineering team support customers on topics like: cooling, water/dust proof designs, Safety/EMC/CCS/CHAdeMo certification, charge controllers, etc.
CONTACT PRE POWER DEVELOPERS
Minervum 7073 4817 ZK Breda
T +31 (0) 76 58 11 077
F +31 (0) 76 58 11 237
ABOUT PRE POWER DEVELOPERS
* Power Research Electronics BV (PRE) is a privately owned company in The Netherlands, working under the name PRE power developers.
* PRE power developers is an independent supplier of EV Charger Modules and Power Electronic Technology for the European and US market.
* In 2002 the main field of work was PV solar inverters, standalone inverters and battery BMS.
* As of 2008 PRE is active in DC fast charging technology and a technology provider for charger companies.
* Since 2012 PRE is working on solutions for the energy transition, where EV’s, renewable solar/wind energy, self driving – shared cars and battery storage will play an important role in the secure and cost effective supply of electrical energy.